About this Show

Liberally Stephanie Miller

News/Business. (2013) New. (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
02:59:59

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
704

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Israel 50, Us 25, Stephanie Miller 24, David Bender 13, Hal Sparks 11, Kentucky 11, Vo 9, Rick Overton 9, Chuck Todd 7, Karl Frisch 6, Mitch Mcconnell 6, John Yarmuth 5, Karl 5, Obama 5, Mason 5, U.s. 5, Chicago 5, Stephanie 4, Iran 4, Palestine 4,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    Liberally Stephanie Miller    News/Business.   
   (2013) New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    March 21, 2013
    6:00 - 8:59am PDT  

6:00am
>> announcer: the parting shot with bill press. this is the "bill press show." >> bill: you know it's no secret why congress has such low approval ratings, because for one thing they duck all of the important issues and don't have any backbone. that was proven this week, when harry reid said no jno jno, i don't think dianne feinstein has enough votes, so we're not even going to schedule a vote on the assault weapon's ban. what nonsense. how do you know you don't have enough votes unless you first take a vote? this is what the american people want. they want the ban on assault
6:01am
weapons, too bad harry reid won't go along. all we see these days from congress is a lot of cowering.
6:02am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> hal: so here we are in day four of me filling in -- hal sparks, hi how are you? some people know me as as @halsparks. i think you actually have -- your home is now so socially media based, where you can go i'm from wisconsin, but i
6:03am
consider facebook my hometown. >> that's true. you live on facebook twitter, google plus -- >> hal: i'm a big plan of google plus. i have facebook up almost as a mechanical thing it's almost like the dmv of social media. like you have to register with them. but jacki schechner is on there, so if you have a news story that you think she should cover, you can go to jacki schechner, you'll spell it wrong the first time -- >> it wasn't bad enough i had schechner, they had jacki awkwardly spelled too. >> hal: all i can say is show business name. come up with one. >> maybe that's our theme for today. >> hal: yeah. news. >> all right.
6:04am
news. president obama's middle east trip continues as he starts and ends the day in jer ruse lum. but is currently visiting with president ah bahs. tomorrow he plans to meet in jordan. abbas reportedly worried about increasing conflict. president obama said if the investigation he ordered find that sirrian weapons have been used on his people, that would change his position on getting u.s. forces involved.
6:05am
president obama also reaffirming the u.s.'s commit to prevent a nuclear-armed iran. lots of news this morning, but we have got more show. stay with us after the break. billy zane stars in barabbas. coming in march to reelz. to find reelz in your area, go to reelz.com
6:06am
dude, i need your help fast. well, clearasil's fast. yeah, but is it this fast? faster! how about this fast? clearasil's faster! this fast?? faster!! woh! that is fast! fix breakouts fast with clearasil ultra. it starts working instantly, sending the max amount of medicine allowed deep into your pores for visibly clearer skin in as little as 12 hours. yeah, it's fast. clearasil, the science of clear skin. [clucking]. everyone wants to be the cadbury bunny. cause only he brings delicious cadbury crème eggs, while others may keep trying. nobunny knows easter better than cadbury!
6:07am
can become major victories. i'm phil mickelson, pro golfer. when i was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis my rheumatologist prescribed enbrel for my pain and stiffness, and to help stop joint damage. [ male announcer ] enbrel may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal events including infections tuberculosis lymphoma, other cancers, nervous system and blood disorders, and allergic reactions have occurred. before starting enbrel your doctor should test you for tuberculosis and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. you should not start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores have had hepatitis b have been treated for heart failure, or if you have symptoms such
6:08am
as persistent fever bruising, bleeding or paleness. since enbrel helped relieve my joint pain, it's the little things that mean the most. ask your rheumatologist if enbrel is right for you. [ doctor ] enbrel, the number one biologic medicine prescribed by rheumatologists. >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's the "stephanie miller show"! ♪ i'm walking on sunshine, woe ho ♪ ♪ i'm walking on sunshine, woe ho ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey all right now ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ >> hal: it does feel good. it feels amazingly good.
6:09am
day four. hal sparks filling in for stephanie miller while she is away on vacation. we have a spa update in her allotted five days away from work, she has spent four and a half of those days either walking on a trial up into the mountains or biking on a bike with no wheels down the mountain. >> what is a bike with no wheels. >> hal: spinning. >> spinning bikes have wheels, but they don't actually go anywhere. >> hal: which is even sadder. >> i am a spin addict. >> hal: spinning has nothing to with the wheels on a vehicle. it has to do with what your knees and ankles are doing. it is just a circle. it is only a wheel if it is used
6:10am
for transportation. let me say for the record -- and you will be on tangent police -- >> i will be. i am super hero, and i am tangent averter -- >> hal: and you are going to need to be because we have representative yarmuth from the great state of kentucky we have david bender calling in and rick overton joining us in studio for hour three. but i would like to pick a fight right out of the gate and say the person who invented the wheel -- and i'm assuming -- it might have been a tribal thing. no big deal. you know what is a big deal? the invention of the axle. >> i'm pro wheel.
6:11am
i'm going to say the wheel. sniet >> hal: here is a good idea try to come to work on a tire tomorrow. okay. >> don't you dare me. i'll try it. >> hal: oh, i know you will. you locked your keys in the car yesterday. >> i did. >> hal: in the trunk. karl frisch is here. do we have a theme song tony? bear with us. ♪ karl ♪ ♪ so exciting to me frisch ♪ >> not to be confused with our pushing tony's button. >> for the record the whole was invented by john mccain. >> hal: that's true. >> and second if we want to know how liberals have trouble connecting with heardland america, it's because we talk
6:12am
about riding bicycles to nowhere, which is basically what spinning class is. >> hal: right. i totally agree with you. get out there and get the air in your lungs. >> you don't think a girl who just locked her keys in a trunk would get hit by a car? it's much safer for me to be in a room than on the street. >> hal: i'm not going to argue that point with you. karl frisch you are a media strategy, a democratic strategy you have messaged different products across the great divide -- see how i'm reaching really far for this -- of politic in this country in making it accessible and then you look at the autopsy report coming from the republican party and go um excuse me? >> wasn't it fun? talk about a good read.
6:13am
[ laughter ] >> and i mean that in the drag queeniest sense of the word. >> are you going to do the audio book, karl? >> i would like to. i love how they kind of touch around the edges of the issues that are actually far more pressing to their party. they talk about the need to reach out to different groups but they don't talk about the need to change their policy to attract the interests of those groups. >> hal: yeah, they don't know the difference between policy and propaganda and maybe this is why they spend most of their time not voting for stuff they think would pass. >> i think more people pay -- more people in d.c. pay attention to how someone voted
6:14am
on something than the actual vote. >> one of the things that this document exposed, that we have all seen in other polling, going back years now, is people think the republican party is scary, out of touch and doesn't support their values. so if you know that, what are you going to do about it? >> hal: uh-huh. >> and you are seeing the sticky wicket that the republicans are in in the way that this report has been received by it's a base. if you look at rush limbaugh or fox news. they just basically took a collective crap on top of this document. and that's rush limbaugh. he does big craps. >> hal: he does. >> when he is not doing oxy which constipates you. >> hal: which he doesn't anywhere. because it nearly made him deaf.
6:15am
which is why he won't listen to you when you tell him facts. but as fast as they come out -- do the phones work between the rnc and the -- the election-neering, or do they got care anymore -- >> let's take our liberal hats off and look at this as political scientists looking for a degree. imagine your political party was a certain demographic that was dying off, but still hard wired to support a certain set of issues that were largely unpopular with the american people. >> right. >> you have a few choices if that's the case.
6:16am
when you first switch your position to attract people you are going to be in a world of pain because the people that give you money and volunteer for your causes are going to be offended and not like the idea that you changed on the issues that are dear to their hearts. so they are slowly coming out in favor of immigration reform again. there is some -- person by person -- and i'm doing my job of trying to recruit more gay children of senator -- >> hal: right. >> but as republicans encounter the idea that marriage equality isn't just about gay people it's about winning independence and women, and as they start to evolve on these issues they risk killing off a huge chunk of their population as far as the
6:17am
vote goes for no immediate reward. so if they came out entirely in favor of gay marriage and immigration reform they would be on the right path to securing a future for themselves, but they would hurt dramatic fly the short-term. they would lose a huge chunk of the people putting them in office currently. so they are in the position of choosing whether they want to hurt now or hurt even worse later. and if it was my party i would not want to be in that position. >> hal: but it is a position they put themselves in. it's like the ceo's take short-term decisions -- >> right. it's emdemic of their mentality.
6:18am
and that's when you see how they are trying to minimize the damage in the short-term. what do they do? if you know the demographics are changing, you try to change the rules by which we play. so start changing the voter id laws. you start playing with the rules of the game. look at the states that have flirted with the way that electoral votes are handed out. and that's like having a three inch gash on your thigh from falling off of your spin bike in class, jacki, and instead of getting sutures putting one of those shaving band aids on. it is only going to be a matter of minutes before the blood is seeping out of the hole again. and by the way, if you want to know how to win this fight, we have to act like republicans do when democrats are weak.
6:19am
we don't look at them and pity them or think we have won, let's get to governing, what we do is go in for the kill. because in a knife fight between a liberal and a conservative a conservative will stab ya and then they'll step on the wound, and break your neck and then put you in the trunk next to the other bodies -- >> hal: and a liberal will say here is my knife. >> right. >> hal: on that note we will let you go. karl frisch, karl frisch.com some fantastic stuff. not the least of which is on your sight, karlfrisch.com. you have a -- >> youth in government it changed my life. >> hal: so not only is karl frisch's site great in and of
6:20am
it's a, but also if you got a moment, and -- and you are leaning that way at all, you know, go by there, click on the link and donate. >> and he tends to be super funny. >> i try to be. >> there is no try, karl. there just is. >> hal: thank you yoda jacki. thank you karl frisch for leaving us on a yoda laugh. >> take chair. >> hal: we're going to talk about the president's trip to israel. and the difficult issues of the middle east peace process, dealing with the israeli palestinians and territorial disputes, and after we discuss it -- >> we're going to plant a tree? >> hal: no, i have to pick a religion to join so it will be
6:21am
science science sciencetolgy, or free may sons. we'll be back. >> and now here is something we hope you really like. noups it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪
6:22am
while your carpets may appear clean. it's scary how much dirt your vacuum can leave behind. add resolve deep clean powder before you vacuum to expel the dirt within your carpets. resolve's deep clean powder is moist. absorbing and lifting three times more dirt than vacuuming alone. leaving you with a carpet that's truly fresh and clean. don't just vacuum clean. resolve clean. the chill of peppermint. the rich dark chocolate.
6:23am
york peppermint pattie get the sensation.
6:24am
6:25am
current tv is the place for true stories. with award winning documentaries that take you inside the headlines. real, gripping, current. documentaries... on current tv. ♪
6:26am
>> hal: welcome back to the "stephanie miller show." that was -- that was an amazing yoda laugh from karl frisch. i was impressed. >> great. >> hal: it is always a grover laugh. >> slight variation. >> it's the same guy. >> hal: yeah. and there's a thin line between yoda and super grover and it really is mostly grammar. the big difference is verb subject -- how it is laid out. but basically there's a monster at the end of this book versus there's a monster in the cave. we have a lot to cover today not the least of which was the president was caught on a hot mic in israel balking to bb
6:27am
netanyahu netanyahu. i always find it we're when they give foreign leaders nick names. it seems overly friendly beyond the level of policy and i don't mind it in your own personal life, but when you are in public call each other by your real names, please. >> kind of like blare bear never caught on. >> hal: exactly. that's peculiar to me. you wouldn't go vlad and i -- when you are talking to vladimir putin. so -- >> and it's not a very masculine
6:28am
nickname, either. >> hal: no bee bee is like a tiny little sphere. bb is substitute word when you can't pronounce things. >> obama: it's nice to get away from congress. >> hal: just when they are yelling to start the music, and you hear president obama lean over, it's good to get away from congress. you know how bad things are in your relationship with congress that you go to israel to talk about peace -- i think it was gilbert gilbert gottfried who said there was this genie and he says i'll
6:29am
grant you unwish. the palestinians and the jews have been fighting forever, would you please do something about it. and he said i can't do anything about it. and he goes what is your second wish? and he says my wife has never performed oral sex on me -- can i get a look at the palestinian thing again -- it's like things are so contentious in congress that i'm going to go to the gaza strip to get away from it all. the unnecessary caveat that you have to put forward that you have to go not all republicans -- not all republicans -- not all conservatives are -- >> yeah. >> hal: you always have to start off the conversation, because
6:30am
we're liberals and progressives and we dwoont to -- >> stereo type an entire -- >> hal: yeah, but statistically speaking the modern republican party is behaving in a specific way. >> the vocal majority. >> hal: exactly. and if silence is acceptance everybody around them is out of fear or agreement not wanting to put their -- cheese in the wind -- [ laughter ] >> hal: cheese in the wind -- >> something smels about that. >> hal: i'm trying to use radio and tv language sometimes -- i'll swear right up to show time, and then i'll go what shows can i substitute but this is the point i'm trying to make. and this is worth talking about with our callers and david bender is calling in along with
6:31am
representative yarmuth, and rick overton, but there is this thing somehow that if you criticize the actions of the israel government, you are anti-semin tick or anti-israel. and that to me is like saying if you criticize the bush administration, you are un-american. that paints everybody into a corner where nobody can make progress. >> there is a complicated issue. i was raised jewish and there are conversations that happen at home with members of my family and extended friends and family about how i feel about our relationship with israel and how they feel, and there's an undying
6:32am
undying devotion with israel. >> hal: right. when we come back, we're going to discuss that. 1-800-steph-1-2 is our number. heard the president say the other night? is this personal or is it political? a lot of my work happens by doing the things that i am given to doing anyway. staying in tough with everything that is going on politically and putting my own nuance on it. not only does senator rubio just care about rich people but somehow he thinks raising the minimum wage is a bad idea for the middle class. but we do care about them, right? vo: the war room tonight at 6 eastern
6:33am
6:34am
6:35am
6:36am
♪ >> hal: that is so -- there's just something warm and inviting about that riff. see what i mean? there is a warmth to a distorted guitar that people miss. they use words like buzz saw and those type of words for distortion. >> i like it. >> it's a really good overdrive. >> hal: yeah. an overdrive will pull you in --
6:37am
>> i am learning so much from you two. >> hal: i don't want people to feel the metal. >> i feel cooler just sitting in this room and listening to this music. >> you are. we're on current tv. you can go to current.com and find a station on your cable system or satellite system. you can also listen to us on umpteen different websites across the country -- >> yeah stephaniemiller.com has a list of the stations that we're carried on. >> hal: absolutely. and my favorite being chicago progressive. and this sunday i'll be doing a stageit.com show. and i'm also introducing a few of my favorite comedians. and speaking of favorite
6:38am
comedians, rick overton will be joining us in hour three. we're starting to get a lot of calls about the israeli palestinian issue. and this is actually -- i think the fear of appearing anti-se -- see met tick slows down the process. it's instrumental to how long the process has taken. look at the english and the irish. it is a similar territorial issue, it is equally as violent. you had the ira as active as much as any force on the palestinian side ireland was
6:39am
against england for the same occupy reasons. but there was never the pretense that somehow you could seem anti-irish or anti-english except based on policy and actions in the past. you didn't -- it wasn't seen as a racial issue or a belief system issue, and internally it was an old fashioned protestant catholic divide. >> yeah, it was all religious. which we would say during the course of the show today we would like you to say which religion you choose. >> hal: right. because no fair you try to be, you are going to have to retreat back. so since i can't convert to judaism, although i pass the physical test i suppose --
6:40am
[ laughter ] >> hal: because i don't believe the abrahamic traditions in their essence -- >> do you like a good lotca? >> hal: no, i used to go to green batch for the matzah ball soup, though. >> that's about as jewish as i am. >> hal: i would say that's cultural, not religious. and there are tons of new yorkers who aren't jewish who rave -- >> it's a joke. i hear ya. >> hal: so i'm either going to have to become a scientologist or join the free mason's. >> i don't know much about the free mason's. >> hal: they have an marquee like an old movie theater, and it says want to be a free mason? ask one. >> do you have to take a
6:41am
personality test? >> hal: no you don't have to have your head hooked up to a simon. so this is a difficult conversation. tony why don't you give us andre mitchell's assess of the relationship between the president and israel right now. >> none of the independent critics would say that the white house has not bungled this relationship. but a lot of people have put blame on the israelis as well. these leaders do not get along. they are not sympatico, there is still an assumption that netanyahu is still in mitt romney's camp. >> hal: let's be real clear as a
6:42am
full disclosure that never gets done. andrea mitchell is married to alan greenspan, the former head of the fed. and he was an acolyte of ayn rand. if you look at the age difference she was a trophy wife at the time. i'm glad they stuck together. but initially you can tell she was his hot young politician kind of wife. that being said, it is never stated that andrea mitchell -- every time she talks about anything dealing with monetary issues, it should be tattooed on her forehead so you know who you are talking to. it's like when clarence thomas's wife talking about religious freedom and the right not to have health care you should say by the way.
6:43am
that being said, it is interesting to me what she says that what is botched about this relationship is that they are not sympatico, there's not a buddy system. where you would never say that about any of our other allies. and it may be from some group -- if we don't have this no daylight relationship with israel, that somehow other leaders in the middle east will get this idea that it's a time to move. >> i don't think our policy has shifted at all. >> hal: not at all. >> and the president has continued to reiterate that. >> hal: right. so let's take some calls. and we'll do this -- it's a difficult one to talk about. let's go to tim in columbus ohio. hi tim.
6:44am
>> caller: i'm a member of a reform reformed community, and not even in the jewish community can you bring up that something that israel is doing is not quite right. you just can't do it. so there is no open talk in that community, so you can't expect there to be that discussion in the u.s. community. so we're all expected to act like we support everything israel does de facto, because it is a jewish state. and that is in no way true at all. >> hal: yeah, that's like saying that no matter what the -- the president of the united states always takes into account how
6:45am
all americans feel. it's absurd. and it's interesting that we live in a country that prizes religious freedom and we are supposed to not have any daylight between what is essentially a religious state. that's a really big deal. whereas we use that as a point of contention between iran or saddam hussein and how the christians were treated and the like of this unified -- because it is a secular -- it's a muslim government, leading a muslim nation that somehow there's no daylight between the people and the leadership there. there's tons of daylight between israels and the policies of netanyahu, and even between netanyahu and perez. he said yesterday there basically needs to be a
6:46am
two-state agreement, period. [overlapping speakers] >> hal: and before we take a break. let's take one more caller. annette in caramel, california. >> caller: hi. >> hal: hi. >> caller: hi, good morning to you. >> hal: good morning. >> caller: i have three things to say. first of all i want to tell you to relax, because gandhi says god has no religion. don't worry about it. >> hal: that's true. that's like saying beef has no restaurant. >> caller: god has no religion. >> hal: right. >> caller: second thing worrying about anti-semitism it has nothing to do with that it has to do with anti-zionism, which is a very destructive policy. >> hal: especially when it comes from evangelical christians in
6:47am
this country who believe in wiping out those that don't believe this christ -- the michele bachmanns of the world and sarah palins of the world, they are at the far arc of the movement which is get them all back to israel so that jesus can appear, and the ones that don't believe will have their throats sliced. they really do -- >> caller: listen, i'm glad you are bringing it up today, because all main stream media don't talk about that with the truth. if you are lived around the world as i have the picture of what is going on in israel and palestine is nothing like it is portrayed here. it is so one-sided here it's
6:48am
disgraceful. and finally i'm discussed that $8 million of our tax money go to israel. and i cannot stand it when my president kowtows and acts like they are our best friend. i would never have a best friend that was so cruel. israel is a cruel nation. with cruel people like bb netanyahu. >> hal: i appreciate the call. but the cruelty of the leaders will never be reflected as the populous even in most cases the majority. there are those two have believed in the interaction of the palestinians and israelis on a regular basis. and many people who believe this
6:49am
fight is more over a waterway. because the water that runs through there -- which side gets the resource is part of the fight. >> really? >> hal: and right now the water falls on the gaza palestinian side of the thing. so it's a way of reclaiming that source -- this is an area of the world where water is of high -- but let's take a break and let's come back. we have a bunch of calls in particular about this. and a couple of people who think that i should become a scientologist or perhaps a free mason, because i will need a group to protect me -- >> i ought to do some free mason googling. so let's come back, and i'll weigh in too. >> hal: yeah, i have my own feelings about the matter. >> do i have to become whatever you aren't. >> yes, so we can argue. the important thing is that we
6:50am
have a religious line dividing us above all. no matter how much we look similar, we must have a religious line between us arbitrarily dividing us, because of stuff that happened 2,000 years ago. we'll be right back after this. >> what in the name of holy hell is going on here? >> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show." care about rich people but somehow he thinks raising the minimum wage is a bad idea for the middle class. but we do care about them, right? vo: the war room tonight at 6 eastern
6:51am
6:52am
6:53am
6:54am
(vo) she gets the comedians laughing and the thinkers thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. (vo) she's joy behar. >>current will let me say anything. ♪ >> hal: welcome back to the "stephanie miller show." i'm hal sparks filling in for steph and the mooks while they are away at vacation. and by that i mean steph is at
6:55am
a spa, and chris is at a cut, not eating any cashes and jim is passed out face down on a couch drinking teeny little airplane alcohol bottles, going i could have been a contender. >> i always hear a voice, and think that's jim. >> does it ruin it a little bit? does it take you out of character? >> hal: i will destroy you. oh, knock it off jim. all i have to do is run around you and shoot at your mid-section. but any time jim is the voice of the big boss in a video game you have your character bring in a laptop with bikini pictures on
6:56am
it and put it in front of him, and some sort of cheese make microwaveable dinner. and you're fine. i want to play this clip of chuck todd. all of these people have freaked out that obama jumped down the throat of a reporter. a reporter got hammered by obama for asking too many questions. and this is -- tell me from the tone if you think that this is obama telling a reporter to stop asking so many questions and shutting him down. >> what do you believe went wrong? did you push israel too hard? what do you wish you would have done differently? and mr. prime minister i want to help out my colleague over here on the follow-up that he had, which was do you accept the
6:57am
president's understanding that iran is a year away from having a nuclear weapon? and i have one more question -- >> obama: chuck did you see how the lady from channel 1 had one question. >> these are reiterations. >> i get four questions, right? [ applause ] >> look, this is not a kosher question, but dot hog it. >> hal: so this is the two of them shutting down a reporter. here is my problem with chuck todd. chuck todd is much like david gregory, in that they have this -- because they are involved with msnbc, there is a
6:58am
perception that they are progressive or liberal. which is exact le the opposite. i find them more often running interference than creating false balance which is a cnn problem. and chuck todd especially never been a fan of obama or hillary clinton, and has -- at certain points intentionally -- the idea is not real reporting but to throw tacks under the tires, and -- but that has nothing to do with this. this is chuck todd eating other reporter's time. which is -- who's to say they haven't asked those question -- everybody there had their own singular question. this is chuck todd thinking i am getting screen time, i'm getting these questions so i get the tape. >> chuck and i go way, way back so it's very hard for me to have any -- i just have a very warm spot in my heart for chuck and
6:59am
the work we did a long long time ago. but that aside, i think there is a limbed amount of time in these press conferences. and it's a fair thing to say take a question i just want to get everything out because it's running around in my head, and he is in some regards disrespectful to the other reporters in the room. >> hal: right. he is not in the press room at the white house. there are a lot of worldwide press there who have all got a question, and most of the topics that he covered, everybody else is going to cover too. and yes, that other guy didn't get a follow-up, but it's about respect for the other reporters -- >> but reading into it is the president shutting down having to answer a question is
7:00am
ridiculous. >> hal: that's right. is there daylight is there not between you? oh my god. whatever. >> go back to that rebranding your party thing. >> hal: >> exactly. we only have a minute left, and after the break, john yarmuth will be joining us and we'll ask him about ashley judd running, and whether mitch mcconnell -- whether stuff will get through the congress. stuff is going on while the president is out of town. >> no! >> hal: yes, it is happening. >> i'll do some news. >> hal: yes, and then john yarmuth, and then followed immediately which david bender. and if you are on the fine hang on, because we'll get to your calls then too.
7:01am
7:02am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> hal: okay. now it's getting ridiculous. i suggested that perhaps jacki would make her life a little bit easier if she didn't try to be to the second update with her news just for the day because this is what the headlines are about -- and i was like predo your news so that you -- you can
7:03am
stay with us through the whole hour. and she is now, and it's a great. and she just thanked me -- me of all people. me. i hope my father is watching for getting her to do her homework. >> i think the exact quote is you are smarter than i give you credit for. >> hal: that's almost not possible. >> that's true. >> hal: here is jacki schechner. >> i don't get out much. anyway, even though harry reid has made it clear he doesn't have the vote to get an insalts weapons ban through the senate vice president biden, and dianne feinstein say they are not giving up without a fight. senator feinstein will bring it up as an amendment. and vice president biden says he plans to keep pushing. today biden appears at an zent
7:04am
at 11:00 am eastern in new york city with mayor michael bloomberg, and together with families of newtown, connecticut they are going to demand that congress take action on common sense legislation like requiring background checks for gun sales. benjamin netanyahu give president obama an interesting gift yesterday. a 2000 year old stone with a tiny chip engraved with israel's and the united states declaration of independence. hillary clinton still not running for president in 2016 but that is not stopping pollsters from asking how she would do in a new quinnipiac poll said she would do well in
7:05am
florida. her favorablity in florida is high too and twitter turns seven today. what do you give the social network that has everything, i say maybe it's name on a grain of rice. >> hal: and maybe a hashtag. >> we're back after the break. marijuana looks like. (vo) with award winning documentaries that take you inside the headlines, way inside. (vo) from the underworld, to the world of privilege. >> everyone in michael jackson's life was out to use him. (vo) no one brings you more documentaries that are real, gripping, current.
7:06am
um, hello. these ugly stains are ruining my good looks and style. and good luck using that cleaner. excuse me, miss ? he's right. those are tough hard water stains, and that cleaner's not gonna cut it. truth is, 85% of us have hard water and many don't even know it. you need lime-a-way. lime-a-way is specially formulated to conquer hard water stains. it's 4 times more effective at removing lime scale than the leading bathroom cleaner. see the lime-a-way difference or your money back.
7:07am
7:08am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's the "stephanie miller show"! ♪ i'm walking on sunshine woe ho ♪ ♪ i'm walking on sunshine woe ho ♪ ♪ it's a time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey all right now ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ >> hal: it feels so good. day four of hal sparks filling in for stephanie miller. and jacki schechner in the news
7:09am
side car. tony not having to fight for audio today, because the lovely and talented rebecca taylor numbered them. yesterday we had so much audio, because we were dealing with all of the lead-up iraq lies. i started doing standard up in chicago. but until then i lived in kentucky. as does our next guest, representative john yarmuth of the wonderful state of kentucky. how are you, sir? >> i'm doing well. how are you? >> hal: i'm doing good. kentucky has a complicated place in my heart. the byphrenia of how the state
7:10am
operates and the people themselves, and then the rand paul and yourself and mitch mcconnell and possibly ashley judd replacing -- it's an odd place to be right now. it's a hot bed politically. what do you see is the trend there these days? >> well, you know, i think what we are seeing in kentucky is a lot of the disconnect that we seay cross the country that when you ask people how they feel about a particular issue like -- >> hal: obamacare? >> yeah, if they want to -- i can talk about obamacare in a minute but if you want to touch social security, medicare or medicaid, or defund education, they'll say we don't want to cut the entitlement programs, we want education paid for and so forth and so on and then they vote for the people who want to do the opposite. >> hal: yeah or in the case of
7:11am
rand paul eliminate the department of education. >> yes. i have become kind of the avatar for ashley judd even though i don't think that is accidental or that she wanted me to but people in kentucky tend to vote with people who they feel comfortable comfortable and not necessarily people they agree with. and i think that's why she has such a great chance at beating mitch mcconnell. because people are tired of mitch mcconnell. >> hal: in all fairness mitch mcconnell is not comfortable with mitch mcconnell. >> exactly. >> hal: he never seems to feel comfortable with himself. when nancy pelosi was speaker of the house, there were so many stalled bills that were worthwhile that were not getting through jnow there's the exact
7:12am
opposite. there is a stampede of republican bills that are never going to nakt the senate that are going to make it through. it's the old boss meet the new boss same agenda. >> right. like my friend said it's the same baby, different diaper, but eventually you are going to have to change it. [ laughter ] >> hal: nice analogy. >> yeah, they seem to think there is no chance of getting their agenda enacted, so they'll put the most extreme forward, and not even try to work toward some rational approach to a problem. it's send the reddest meat possible to the base and we understand that nothing is going
7:13am
to happen but that's don't want the government to do anything. >> hal: right. they have come down soundly on the side of propaganda even paul ryan saying with his budget, it's a statement more than an actual budget. it's like his vision board versus, you know, his actual policy, because it curtails -- it counts on repealing obamacare, but keeps the savings from it. >> yeah, and the tax revenues it from. >> hal: right. and that's who you are dealing with. how do you approach something like that. and then you have constituents who you say obamacare and they are against it you say everything that is in it and they are for it. >> during the last campaign we asked people whether they supported or opposed the
7:14am
affordable care act. and 55% said they supported it. when you asked them if they were for obamacare, 55% was against it. >> that's why i don't like the term. i know the president and democrats have been willing to embrace the term but i do think it comes from a negative place and carries a negative connotation, and i don't think repeating it makes it sound better. i think we should say affordable care act or health care reform and make that stick. >> absolutely. and i think those poll numbers bare that out. clearly in kentucky there is a segment of the population that will not support anything that has barack obama's name attached to it. >> hal: right. and it's -- and i know those people. i grew up around those people. many people may or may not know
7:15am
i'm originally from peaks mill kentucky, at the time one road 46 people. we had a little white christian church in every sense of the world, and a cemetery and there are big sections of kentucky that are like that that if you go to these people individually and go is it right that a black person, for example would be denied housing if they could afford to buy a house, should they be denied the ability -- and they would say absolutely not. and at the same time they will vote repeatedly for people who actually instigate those kind of policies. is it an education thing? is the propaganda versus policy takt -- the republicans are taking a valuable one on one front in that the messaging is more important than reality. >> i think you are exactly
7:16am
right. the things we're dealing with in washington now are really really complicated. and the media basically treats everything in ten-second sound bites, so it's easy to say the health care debate in three seconds, government takeover, death panels all of those throw-away lines that don't mean anything, but that's all many people hear. and folks don'ting want to take the time listening to two hours of an extensive discussion if one were available about the affordable care act and that's % part of the problem. how do we have discussions about today's complicated issues in today's environment? >> would you agree there is some
7:17am
responsibility on the part of the members of congress to educate themselves to be able to speak about this? >> absolutely. >> because we were knee deep in the fight and they had no clue. >> you are absolutely right. i spent basically 14 months doing nothing but talking about health care reform. and i would walk into a room in my district with 50 people who wr were ready to strangle me, and spend 50 minutes going through the options, and after that period of time, they would walk out and say, hey, this sounds great. but it totally was an education process, and we didn't do -- as a party we didn't do very good job of that. individual people did better
7:18am
than others for sure. >> hal: right. and we only have a couple of seconds left with you, and first of all i want to thank you for being the congressman from the great state of kentucky but there is one other issue, and i want to personally thank you. and you can go to yarmuth.house.gov, is that you are talking about introducing -- or have introduced a bill to study mountain top removal due to mining. you can only live so long that way, and being down river from that kind of stuff, and going yes, we get cheap entity here but our health care costs are twice that over here it becomes almost zero sum or a sum
7:19am
negative over time. >> it's a tragedy in eastern kentucky and i talked to a teacher down there, and she said when the students draw their environment they draw their creeks and streams in orange because that's what they see. that's how bad it is. it's just a horrendous practice. even the speaker of the house in kentucky who comes from that area recently said mountain top removal needs banned. >> hal: you have this entire region of the country that is known for its landscape and a beautiful one for that and systematically they are being ground down to nubs. it's one thing to lose all of your trees, but once you start carving down your mountains there's no growing back. and obviously we're up against a
7:20am
break, so i wanted to thank you for being strong on that. >> absolutely. i hope we have a united senator, ashley judd who will continue that fight, because she is passionate about the subject as well. >> hal: it's amazing how somebody wouldn't be passionate about not poisoning our kids just so we would keep our lights on $0.05 a year cheaper. >> that's right. >> hal: we'll be back with more of the stephanie miller. david bender will be up after the break. and we'll take more of your calls about the issue of our relationship with israel and should we be in a no daylight situation with any country? especially when we have tons of daylight between the parties in our own country? that's an odd -- i think an important question, and an odd situation to be in. we'll be back.
7:21am
>> announcer: has it turns out, the revolution will not be televised. it's on the radio. it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪
7:22am
[clucking]. everyone wants to be the cadbury bunny. cause only he brings delicious cadbury crème eggs, while others may keep trying. nobunny knows easter better than cadbury! can become major victories. i'm phil mickelson, pro golfer. when i was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis my rheumatologist prescribed enbrel for my pain and stiffness, and to help stop joint damage. [ male announcer ] enbrel may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal events
7:23am
including infections tuberculosis lymphoma, other cancers, nervous system and blood disorders, and allergic reactions have occurred. before starting enbrel your doctor should test you for tuberculosis and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. you should not start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores have had hepatitis b have been treated for heart failure, or if you have symptoms such as persistent fever bruising, bleeding or paleness. since enbrel helped relieve my joint pain, it's the little things that mean the most. ask your rheumatologist if enbrel is right for you. [ doctor ] enbrel, the number one biologic medicine prescribed by rheumatologists.
7:24am
(vo) she g (vo) she gets the comedians laughing and the thinkers thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. (vo) she's joy behar. >>current will let me say anything.
7:25am
♪ >> hal: hey, welcome back to the "stephanie miller show." i'm hal sparks. got to love john yarmuth. >> fantastic. >> hal: you do know it is possible to be southern, white, and environmentally conscious. you do realize we all breathe air, and drink water, or
7:26am
beverages made from water. bourbon is made from water. beer -- one of the big ingredients in making beer is clean water. if you are having to make bud light out of coal-tainted stream water -- made from the rockies, which we of course ground down to a nub so we could all have dirty fossil fuels for a little while longer because wind energy is gay. i don't want big windmills they ruin the landscape. i want giant slothy black -- >> oil sucking machinery. >> hal: haven't you seen the map. bp is cleaning up the gulf it is better than it was. >> it's almost like they weren't responsible. >> hal: no but through avoiding regulation, and then when they followed the regulation, followed it to the lowest
7:27am
possible point and then avoided doing it on all their -- that didn't happen. look man there's hotel deals right up on the water. sure your feet will swell up when you walk around -- >> who doesn't want a film on their water? >> hal: guess what conserving the country, and protecting the people of this country from international companies is a very conservative value at its route. conserving things. >> right but i thought you meant in terms of corporations versus people -- >> hal: no. modern conservatives are lying about their conservatism. they are not conservative at all. all they are protecting is at
7:28am
best -- at best some sort of cartoonish version of 50's america. >> when i think conservative i think conservative value. >> hal: what conservative value do you think liberals don't have? the honest ones? family -- >> oh no. >> hal: the ability to read whatever you want speak your mind, even own a gun, quite frankly. i don't know any liberals who don't believe in regular gun ownership, we're not big fans of missiles or things with 60 rounds of them -- >> but i think of conservative as a pejorative -- >> hal: that's what i mean. it's one of the reasons why conservatives are ahead. by the way david bender is joining us right now. are you here? >> i am so here. >> hi, love. >> hi love.
7:29am
>> david benner is my fake tv husband. >> and there it is. it is all about eve. eve used to call me her fake tv husband, then she left town, and you guys have come in and it's all done -- is the star off of the dressing room door now? >> hal: not at all. she is this close to going, oh hal. >> i'm scraping stephanie's name -- i think there's an n and an i and an e left. >> i see. >> hal: david bender is [ inaudible ] which is why he is so crystal clear. >> i am crystal clear all the time. >> hal: one of the reasons why he is so crystal clear is because he is available on the progressive voices which is able on the app. so david we are talking about a couple of obviously big issues
7:30am
not the least of which is the president being in israel right now. >> is that where he is? >> hal: yeah rumor has it. >> chuck todd called him and said he is in israel. >> hal: what should i ask him? >> what should i ask him? >> hal: we have a couple of minutes and then we have to take a break. >> i'm happy to hold. >> hal: thank you. it's a tough conversation to have when you are dealing with something that i think is marked into the ira versus the british government, but minus the idea that if you were -- if you supported the rights of ireland or the rights of the british, you were never auk -- accused of being anti-for religious regions. >> it is absolutely true that
7:31am
israel was formed as a jewish state. now there is a difference. the difference is, is that jews needed a homeland because they were being driven out, persecuted and slaughtered in the places that they lived, so there is somewhat of ardifferent historical context here which is why you have the american jewish community feeling such a strong kinship to this idea that jews should be safe in the homeland that they created because they were persecuted. i have some thoughts about that and we can talk about them after the break. >> hal: yeah let's do that. >> look at him getting you off to break in time. >> hal: oh, he's a total pro, everything i learned about radio i lerped from david bender and then forget it. and then i have to call him and go what is time for the quarter
7:32am
hour break -- >> we'll be right back. the number for the stephanie miller is -- >> hal: yeah. 1-800-steph-1-2 the phone number toll free from anywhere. we'll be back with guest host david bender. thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. you would rather deal with ahmadinejad than me. >>absolutely. >> and so would mitt romney. (vo) she's joy behar. >>and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking?
7:33am
7:34am
7:35am
7:36am
♪ >> hal: welcome back to the "stephanie miller show." i'm hal sparks. i'm moving into the side car now, because david bender is going to take the reins -- >> where does that put me? >> hal: in my lap, where you belong. >> which is where he has wanted
7:37am
you the whole time. >> i am speechless. >> hal: my best friend in high school, mike ford, when i first moved to chicago, i -- my dad wouldn't let me take the car because he thought i would fool around in it which i need need to because when he went away on business trips, i would make out in my own bed. but mike would have to take us out and drive around and listen to us make out. >> was it also a ford car. >> hal: yeah, my namesake and oh, god. i'm going to take some calls --
7:38am
>> yay. yay. humans, love them. >> hal: and some of them have been holding on for quite a while. let's go to karl in nashville, tennessee. >> caller: hey, you guys this is a good subject. it shouldn't be so touchy because one when did israel because the 51st state of america. and two, when did it become politically okay to talk bad about san francisco, but not okay to talk bad about israel. the people in the south that used to spray paint swastikas, and deface jewish synagogues now they are the biggest friends
7:39am
of israel. the jews are not our enemy anymore, the arabs are. i just find this fascinating. now they love the jews. these evil evangelical hypocrites are something else. >> hal: that is an excellent point. i think there are plenty of people out there who still hate the jews, but there are certainly a group of evangelicals who are siding with israel not because of israelis or jews but because they think that's the sight of christ's return. >> that's right. this isn't a turn around this wasn't oh, we were mistaken all of those times when we were burning crosses, or sainting swastikas, this is that the biblical prophecy that there has to be a state of israel in order
7:40am
for jesus to return. and the irony is of course when jesus comes back jews go to hell. >> hal: i don't think that is lost on them. that is an inconvenient truth for a lot of people dealing with evangelicals. >> but let's see if bibi netanyahu will say that. >> hal: of course not. >> but whether there is a 51st state that is israel, israel is a democratic ally, it is important to have allies that share your world view and your form of government and when those governments act in ways like our government act that are anti-democratic, they need to be opposed by their own people. you have huge peace marches in israel where people of israel oppose the war and oppressive policies of their government.
7:41am
there is one interesting historical fact, and this is one i have been waiting to share for a long time, and thank you for giving me the opportunity. we almost had israel as the 51st state -- actually the 50th state before the state was formed in the late 40s, when harry truman was president, get this one of the warner brothers harry warner commissioned a -- a white paper, 35 pages of research saying mr. president and he brought it directly to president truman the idea of palestine is a terrible idea. if the jewish homeland becomes palestine it will be a constant state of war. what is a surprise? >> hal: uh-huh. >> he want alaska and he said
7:42am
to the president, we should give the jewish people alaska then all they have to worry about is canadians. >> hal: nobody has to worry about canadians. >> exactly. and there was a major effort. obviously it couldn't work again because of the biblical prophecy. >> hal: this is about some rocks being holier than others. >> but think if harry truman had said yes. >> hal: wow. what the middle east would look like today. >> and there would be no sarah palin or she would be jewish. >> hal: eye it's cold up here. and by the way i personally am one of the big believers that the creation of israel while
7:43am
there was a vast number of people who supported it as a protection for the jewish people as a guarantee of their rights as a people to exist, there was also a largely anti-se mettic move in sending their people there. there were certainly parts of u.s. government and other foreign governments at the same time, it was almost like a bar at the end of the night you don't have to go home but you can't stay here. and there's this idea that we -- we don't really want the jews to come to the united states, not really but if we give them the land we can pat ourselves on the back for doing something nice and they can all go there. >> so palestine was like last call. >> it was the jewish equivalent of the back to africa movement. we'll free blacks but free them
7:44am
to fridonia. we'll create a state with a big barbed wire state around it -- hail ferdonia. >> hal: absolutely. >> but you had it right. this is all about the bible. it was a convenient thing for a lot of governments to say not in my backyard but the jewish people from around the planet said this is fulfilling the biblical imperative that we have that place in that state, the jerusalem is ours from 2,000 years ago. so you can't argue that. it's not a rashal discussion. >> stephanie: it's like rand paul day before yesterday on cnn, and they are talking about his personhood amendment -- which by the way, somebody brought up own twitter -- and i seemed
7:45am
brilliant -- the personhood amendment put forth by the anti-abortion movement are actually there to scuttle anti-personhood bills about corporatism, it waters the issue around the word personhood because the corporate person hood movement was creating steam. so it's an oxymoron and so it's easy -- it's a good useful tool to message around that so people like rand paul are using the word personhood and putting bills they know aren't going to fly -- >> do you think there is that much foresight? >> hal: absolutely i do. >> really the intention of using
7:46am
the word personhood. >> hal: it's corporatism. >> so what about a baby corporation? >> hal: yeah, right. >> does it have any rights? >> hal: how about this -- if i form a corporation on legal zoom this afternoon at conception does it have -- can i be bailed out by the government. >> the statement you just made means you can be bailed out by the government. >> hal: exactly. the sin of the mind is the same as the sin of the body. so that leads us into a distinct point and we just have about a minute left, and david bender perhaps you can explain to us ho we -- the message versus the reality. obviously -- this comes up -- the gop rebranding -- in 10 seconds yeah -- is propaganda versus policy. this is what i really think. they have decided to go with
7:47am
propaganda because they have no policy that anybody will stomach or like. and it's like they are taking a page out of how the palestinian israel conflict has been handled for years. >> since jim ward isn't here i'll play that part. and i can't play his voice but neither can he because there are too many. but here is the answer the republicans don't have policy because they are not interested in government. if they were they would be thinking about solutions which require policies. propaganda is all they do and that goes back to, thank you jim jimmy fallon, the nazis. this is that idea of lying repeatedly largely, and consistently so that people believe lies as truth. policy is never part of their agenda because they don't want government to work. simple as that. >> hal: right.
7:48am
thank you so much david bender for joining us on this, because this is such a deep issue, and the proifg voice's channel is where you can go for all of your favorite progressive talkers, including steph and bill press. tune in at the top of the hour when other stations are playing commercials and those kind of other things when you are listening they have a thing called top of the hour where they have people like david bender and people -- our dear friend john fenton who is one of the people behind progressive voices contacted angry black lady just yesterday and she will be part of that as well so they take five minutes to discuss issues of the day. >> and coming up soon politically direct with david bender is returning to the progressive voices channel.
7:49am
it's all about eve inperpetuity. [ laughter ] >> hal: right. >> it is going to be a bumpy ride. >> hal: i'm going to be end up being a stable boy, i just know it. >> oh, yeah. >> hal: david bender everybody. >> by my love. bye. >> hal: here is a thought before we go to break. wrap your head around this. where there is no daylight there is darkness. we'll be back. [ laughter ] >> i don't get it. >> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show." >>and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking? you know who is coming on to me now? you know the kind of guys that do reverse mortgage commercials? those types are coming on to me all the time
7:50am
now. (vo) she gets the comedians laughing and the thinkers thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. you would rather deal with ahmadinejad than me. >>absolutely. >> and so would mitt romney. (vo) she's joy behar. >>and the best part is that current will let me say anything. what the hell were they thinking? they think this world isn't big enough for the both of them. but we assure you - it is. bites. little greatness. [ male announcer ] it's red lobster's lobsterfest our largest selection of lobster entrees like lobster lover's dream or new grilled lobster and lobster tacos. come in now and sea food differently. visit redlobster.com now for an exclusive $10 coupon on two lobsterfest entrees.
7:51am
dude, i need your help fast. well, clearasil's fast. yeah, but is it this fast? faster! how about this fast? clearasil's faster! this fast?? faster!! woh! that is fast! fix breakouts fast with clearasil ultra. it starts working instantly, sending the max amount of medicine allowed deep into your pores for visibly clearer skin in as little as 12 hours. yeah, it's fast. clearasil, the science of clear skin. [ male announcer ] to many men, shaving can be a sensitive issue. but take comfort. it may not be you; it may be your razor.
7:52am
upgrade to gillette fusion proglide. our micro-thin blades are thinner than a surgeon's scalpel to put less stress on your skin by gliding through hair. switch to fusion proglide. number one dermatologist recommended on sensitive skin. and now introducing new fusion proglide sensitive shave gel. gillette. the best a man can get.
7:53am
i think the number one thing that viewers like about the young turks is that we're honest. they can question whether i'm right, but i think that the audience gets that this guy, to the best of his ability, is trying to look out for us. ♪
7:54am
>> hal: welcome back to the "stephanie miller show," i'm hal sparks. david bender and john yarmuth, i want to thank them for joining us this hour. 1-800-steph-1-2 the phone number toll free from anywhere. in the next hour we have rick overton. if you don't know rick overton, don't talk to me. to follow me -- >> you are super committed to rick? >> hal: he is a good guy. >> does he know? >> hal: of course, we're good friends. >> it is mutual? >> hal: no. >> is he that into you? >> hal: that's where you had to go with it? you can't just have a comedian
7:55am
bromance. what i said before the break was -- where there is no daylight there is darkness. we are always talking about there can be no daylight between us and israel. if you continually have no daylight between you and anybody else, you are either lying to cover your differences, or you are avoiding them entirely and so there must be daylight between our countries leader's and every other country's, because they will not always be 100% in sync. let's go to debbie in albuquerque. >> caller: yeah, listen i have something to talk about, just a theory, mine you. let's just suppose abraham got it wrong when he was told the jewish people, supposedly were the chosen when what if god
7:56am
meant homo sapiens. >> hal: right. >> caller: also what if he said the land is yours, what if he meant the planet? that would change the dynamic of everything. if that's how they truly believe, why do they need these weapons? wouldn't god just step in to protect them? >> hal: that has always been the issue with any kind of protected people. even when people call themselves the master race like that dude standing up at cpac and saying white nationalists and talking about how important white people are, then be important. do something important. you are just writing a newsletter about how awesome you are, is not the same thing as being the inventor. you are not creating the new level of solar and wind energy.
7:57am
if you are standing next to an east indian guy who started a social networking site and you are arguing for your white supersy simply because of the color of your skin it's absurd. and when religion is tied to race, and they are tied to a geographical space or -- if there were something about -- if wickens decided to claim the pyramids and there was nothing anybody could do about it and we kind of go it's ridiculous, but not any more ridiculous than sacred burial grounds and vampires not being able to enter churches -- there's a certain point where you get into big trouble there, because it's based on this idea. and when you go to the abrahamic traditions and say maybe abraham got it wrong -- >> caller: exactly. because we caused the problem in
7:58am
the mid-ing east we took the democratic government of iran and overthrow it. now fast forward to the future and we're mad because they didn't like the shaw of iran, and we caused the mess. >> hal: yes -- [overlapping speakers] >> hal: absolutely american interventionism, and british interventionism has a long history, and you cannot have that history without blowback. >> caller: exactly. >> hal: at a certain point -- [overlapping speakers] >> hal: yes. >> caller: he's talking about 9/11 and 73 in chile that we did or 9/11 in new york city? there's two of them. >> hal: exactly.
7:59am
policy requires daylight stepping back and going let's assess how we're behaving now. everybody can get involved in a fight, and get a grudge going with a family member for a long time, but it takes the stronger person to stand back and say wait a minute, how are we both behaving badly. let's stop the bad behavior and start the path to getting better. let's get one more call before we take a break. but susan thinks that a two-state solution might not work. >> caller: hi, so enjoying this week with you, hal and jacki and tony is so cute -- >> hal: he is adorable. >> caller: look, under the premise a comic shall lead them, i got my feelings about the middle east based on [ inaudible ]. she said the two causes have
8:00am
become so integrated over the years that there is no way to separate those states that it should be a secular government ruling -- and i know she makes a whole lot more sense out of it than i can -- >> hal: a united states of israel palestine. >> caller: right. >> hal: that's the awkward part in that [overlapping speakers] >> caller: what if we had to have a religious government? what theocracy would rule us? it would be instantly war. >> hal: absolutely. that's the argument you get in trouble with, when evangelicals decide that the ten commandments should belong outside of every courthouse. we're not that kind of country.
8:01am
should we tolerate it in other countries? it's interesting. do we support it? we'll be back with more of the "stephanie miller show." 1-800-steph-1-2 the phone number toll free from anywhere is our number. i don't think this issue is going to go away.
8:02am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> hal: so i -- i know. we are at the point where we're having so much fun in the show that we're not -- and such heavy topics, and still having a great time doing it. >> i feel a little guilty. >> hal: when i told people to unfollow me if they don't know who rick is --
8:03am
>> they took it seriously. >> hal: only one unfollowed me, but it was because apparently i have become a zealot. >> i'll follow you twice, and that will make up for it. >> hal: thank you very much. i don't understand their problem with me, but since they unfollowed -- >> i wouldn't take it too seriously. >> hal: no. we have rick overton this hour, and we have a lot of calls still on the line about israel and our relationship with them. here is jacki with the news. >> president obama is speaking to the israel people from the convention center in jerusalem center. and while yesterday he was caught on mic saying it was good to be away from congress for bathe there is some work progressing while he is abroad.
8:04am
there was a vote in the senate and house, that means no government shutdown come march 27th. the goal was to make it to the president's desk by tomorrow, because that's when congress takes off for its two-week easter recess. now just this last hour, house republicans did pass paul ryan's magical mystery budget for the third year in a row. according to the latest fec filings the nra in an additional $1.1 million from the month before. this is the best fund-raising it has seen since 2000. disturbingly the numbers have spiked considerably sin the shooting of in newtown,
8:05am
connecticut. now it's also spending more money. it gave two donations in january, it gave to 19 candidates, including $2,500 to house speaker john boehner. >> jack, how old are you? >> nine. >> this is what 27 tons of marijuana looks like. (vo) with award winning documentaries that take you inside the headlines, way inside. (vo) from the underworld, to the world of privilege. >> everyone in michael jackson's life was out to use him. (vo) no one brings you more documentaries that are real, gripping, current. um, hello. these ugly stains are ruining my good looks and style. and good luck using that cleaner. excuse me, miss ? he's right.
8:06am
those are tough hard water stains, and that cleaner's not gonna cut it. truth is, 85% of us have hard water and many don't even know it. you need lime-a-way. lime-a-way is specially formulated to conquer hard water stains. it's 4 times more effective at removing lime scale than the leading bathroom cleaner. see the lime-a-way difference or your money back.
8:07am
8:08am
[♪ theme music ♪] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's a the "stephanie miller show"! ♪ i'm walking on sunshine, woe ho ♪ ♪ i'm walking on sunshine woe ho ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey all right now ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ >> hal: welcome back to the "stephanie miller show." i'm hal sparks filling in for steph for just one more day.
8:09am
that's right. >> no! >> hal: tomorrow is our last day, jacki. >> no! >> hal: we have had so much fun. >> how will i get through a week without seeing you every day >> hal: that's what everybody says after spending time with me for a week. in my bio pick when i'm 95 and they are running that -- we never gave him an oscar when he deserved him, we'll play a tape of people going how did i ever spend a week -- speaking of enjoying your week rick overton joining us. >> i have the head phone of yesterday. you are wearing the ear buds of
8:10am
tomorrow. >> what is tony there? >> hal: he is retro. >> these are awesome head phones. >> hal: this is so tony can ignore the show entirely and just d.j. >> i'm sound crushing your head. >> hal: from far, far away. [ laughter ] >> hal: rick we were talking about in the last hour and we have got a lot of calls about this, and we will get to you guys that are in there. and i said after i have this discussion about the israel government and the actions of the israel government i will have to hide so i'm going to have to become a scientologist or free mason. >> i said scientologist because they are bigger in show business. >> hal: but i know some free masons who are in show business big in the r&b community, which
8:11am
i am huge in. i have my white suit and i'm ready to dance. look -- [ laughter ] >> hal: this is -- the history of what got us here is part of the conversation that needs to be had. and you said something really interesting about the creation of israel and the possible root of that being resource based. >> yeah, put everybody that could fight near each other so while they are battling, england goes in and grabs the oil. >> hal: that's when we knew -- >> everything ones on this for a while, so whoever controls the spice controls the mind. >> hal: right. and considering what the british did for tea, it's no -- you know, in india -- >> get ahold of something that everyone is insane for. just be at the wheel of it when
8:12am
everyone shows up to buy it. someone has always found a thing, salt, spice, whatever it is. >> hal: salt being specific, but spices being something you can grow, they were a resourced based economy point, but you could create your own. the frozen concentrated orange juice, big factor in our stock market. the futures were so big that they were actually a plot point in trading -- >> i was going to say that's the best way anyone would know that -- >> hal: exactly. commodities. but the things that have been done in just getting chocolate out of south america, and that's just something people want not something that people need. oil when you are sitting on something that people need you
8:13am
create a power for yourself that is almost religious. because we go over here much like an atheist goes you don't have the window to god, a scientist can go oil isn't the only way, we have sun, hydrogenhydrogen wind power -- >> and everything is boiling down, all of the political parties, all of the religious beliefs are breaking down to someone found the da vinci code and makes a honey trap for that personal type. >> hal: right. >> the glen becks of the world have made a honey trap for people like glen beck. >> hal: well, the character anyways, because let's be really clear. glen beck is not a proper but he drives the preppers to
8:14am
collect bean cans -- i'll make a killing on the end of the world that never comes. >> sure. like the top racists probablying aren't racists, they just know that a great tool for dividing people. >> but don't you have to be a certain kind of person to even tap into that. >> that's what i'm saying. it's breaking down to kinds of people. that part that well let's not make this personal then you are never going to solve it. it is breaks off to those types of people. you'll hear them in the calls, beat for beat, certain kinds of things. >> but you are missing a moral chip to be able to feel okay exploiting. >> hal: actually i think you just use your moral chip differently. when you think of the corporate overlord types and how can they
8:15am
poison the waters and streams? to them there is a protection racket going on. their side needs to grab as much as they can, because it is all going to run out one day. we have to skim and grab and skim and grab and guarantee our progeny a protected class place, and how we do it is moral because i'm protecting my families and heirs. >> reality reinvents itself per circumstance like one of those stick um things you put up a note. you can stick it to anything like gum. >> hal: every state house where they have tried to put the ten commandments has the death penalty. there is not a single state that has outlawed the death penalty that i know of -- and there may be one -- where a legislator has gotten anyone where they don't
8:16am
actually order somebody to die -- i says vengeance is mind say sayeth the lord later in the book, which means i'll do all of the killing, you guys shut up and grow weak. >> there's no footnote. >> hal: no footnote but everywhere they have tried to put it up also the death penalty. >> also there's the kind of human that can add the two things and go because it's me it's different or because it's me and my group it's different. >> but is there an inherit lack of evolution to that? shouldn't you be able to see beyond your scope? >> scientifically if it keeps happening it has to be dealt as such. >> yeah. >> here is the scientist kicks
8:17am
in. okay. puzzle presented, start solving puzzle. >> hal: uh-huh. and in a sense it's habitual behavior, where it becomes tradition because it has been around so long, that it has worth based on the fact that we have done it this long and it hasn't killed us. >> yeah. >> hal: arguably it hasn't as bad as it has gotten life is kicking death's ass right now. obviously the parts of -- where we're keeping people alive are outweighing the parts where we kill them off. the problem is the ideology that kills us off is getting better and better at doing it like nuclear war fair bioweapons and arguably bad science. on that note we'll be back with more of the intellectual musings
8:18am
of rick overton, clarifying the scientific method. and we're going to take your calls. 1-800-steph-1-2 is our number. and maybe the palestinian israeli conflict is a goodall gory for everything we have found an impasse on. be it pro-life pro-choice imma grace -- are we at that point where it's an idealogical divide and since we're dealing with ether, bottling it has become a problem. >> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪
8:19am
8:20am
break the ice with breath-freshening cooling crystals. ice breakers.
8:21am
8:22am
(vo) she gets the comedians laughing and the thinkers thinking. >>ok, so there's wiggle room in the ten commandments, that's what you're saying. (vo) she's joy behar. >>current will let me say anything. ♪
8:23am
>> hal: that it's "stephanie miller show." i'm hal sparks filling in for steph and the mooks while they are away on vacation. so we have a roland update? he is just exhausted -- >> i have not heard from them today. >> hal: is he wrapped up in some sort of cloth -- >> i see a grape leaf. >> hal: yeah. the stuffed grape leaves but with roland inside instead of rice. they are away and of course i have this theory that steph doesn't do any of that stuff at that spa. that she just lures roland there and laughs about it. ♪ roland roland roland down
8:24am
the river ♪ >> roland says he had been playing a lot of tennis and i assume they convene at some point -- >> hal: but the rest of the time she is behind the mirror in his hotel room watching him itching from the spa and going what was that salt stuff? i have this theory that steph is just playing one giant massive prank on roland to get back at him for one bad hotel room on sexy liberal. we're going to take some calls and get through as many as i can. try to get your point out as quickly as possible -- because you are going to be on tangent patrol. >> i am. >> because rick and i -- >> yeah, we go off road. >> hal: let's go to paul in nevada. hey, paul, how are ya?
8:25am
that was karl in chicago. i'm sorry. >> i'm the official norse mythologist of the "stephanie miller show." >> hal: well, thank you. does mother know you wearth her drapes? go ahead. and insofar as norse mythology goes, this worked out well for the vikings, i think, didn't it? is he there? oh, we lost him? why did he loose him -- i pushed a button on stephanie's box and her to -- thor went away. >> hal: the shawmen make --
8:26am
>> are you telling me there is no santa. >> hal: no that's what the theory came from that the norse gods would eat it and they would get off of this door was snow cones, and they would come up with this -- which is by the way where most religious methodology -- >> i thought the most popular flavor -- >> do we have any more deer whiz? >> snoo >> hal: okay. here is paul in nevada. hey, paul. >> caller: yeah, hal listen i would really like to make two quick statements. >> hal: sure. >> caller: first of all i know you want everybody to make a quick statement because you got a lot -- >> hal: yes.
8:27am
>> caller: but you guys get caught up and carry on and on -- i have been on since 7:17 and i know there are a lot of people -- >> hal: it's true. we're busy making a radio show -- >> caller: i understand. i have a couple of podcasts too, but here is my point. i believe that the israelis who have been spying on us since the 60s are actually holding something over the u.s. you know, something that would -- would outrage the american people to the point where, you know, they -- they would really to face the music. one example would be the uss liberty, and another one would be some of the -- you know like the mili massacre in vietnam. >> hal: right. and we'll cover that, and then your other point. i want to make sure you get it in. >> caller: the other point is when i make these claims my
8:28am
feelings -- point of view that right now israeli -- the israelis -- the right-wing israelis are actually in a lot of ways acting like the -- the people they hate the most. >> hal: yeah. >> caller: you know, the nazis in that they have isolated the palestinians from medical at attention, drinking water, clothes -- >> hal: they certainly control the economic system just by standing outside of it and limiting what gets in and out, using the idea of terrorism and the rockets from gaza as the reasons for doing so not understanding that your kid might not have died from a very curable decide -- disease,
8:29am
because you wouldn't let a boat in with penicillin. so let's start with the first point. is israel blackmailing the united states? at the outrage point i don't know that -- unfortunately the american people don't get outraged. not that way. not the way they should. and even -- i mean the -- the lies that got us into the iraq war and the damage done to innocent people because of the iraq war are overt. there is no question about them. we covered them on the show yesterday, rick. we were having people call in with their favorite lie leading up to it. nobody questions that these are lies now. >> the victory in it all is the fact that that has been revealed and everything just beep beep right back to traffic again. because we're numb -- because we
8:30am
have had ever lied-to events we're just stuck in this sick marriage because of the kids you know. >> but why don't we get outraged the way we used to? >> hal: because when you are in dangerous of losing your home and living paycheck to paycheck -- >> hamster wheel. >> hal: absolutely you keep people to where their lives are so close to be frazzled one of the values of allowing illegal immigration coming in and not dealing it with a solution is because the cheapness of that labor scares people who work for a living that one day these illegals are going to take their jobs, so they are worried about that and whether the bank owns their mortgage or not, and how they are going to deal with that
8:31am
part of it. dealing with the idea that we lied our way into the iraq war when it wasn't even on television that much you keep it in a pocket keep it off of the news that much and i have got too many problems to deal with it. >> is there an idea of where that tipping point is? >> we're there. right now is that point. >> -- from being scared to being angry? >> that's it. we're midpoint on it. the knives edge looks like a flat plain in an electron microscope. >> hal: absolutely. it flattens out. >> you are going to see it any day now. >> hal: yeah, we'll take a break and come back and i'll explain the burning bush and more from rick on how we're at the moment. we'll be back. ♪
8:32am
(vo) from the underworld, to the world of privilege. >> everyone in michael jackson's life was out to use him. (vo) no one brings you more documentaries that are real, gripping, current.
8:33am
[clucking]. everyone wants to be the cadbury bunny. cause only he brings delicious cadbury crème eggs, while others may keep trying. nobunny knows easter better than cadbury!
8:34am
8:35am
8:36am
♪ >> hal: welcome back to the "stephanie miller show," i'm hal sparks filling in for steph and the mooks while they are away on vacation with rick overton and jacki schechner in the side car. we're talking about how actually the middle east peace process between the israelis and
8:37am
palestinians is actually a great metaphor for consistent conflict in a lot of different areas and how it is used by both sides to create this circular point where it's almost like plant that other people have figured out to live off of the fruit of constant conflict. >> right. >> for example? >> hal: well the military industrial complex is the easiest one. two sides -- one side selling weapons to both sides. >> if we went up against iran today you know what you would be facing? tom cats that we sold them. you would know how it flies, because it's ours. >> hal: right. and if it wasn't ours, it was the company that sold us ours made a slightly modified version. >> they just repainted ours. >> put a mustache on it. [ laughter ] >> hal: exactly. painted it red and put a big
8:38am
black x on the side of it and snoopy -- by the way we the norse dude back. ♪ norse dude ♪ >> hal: hey, karl. >> caller: hello. how are you doing? >> hal: good, you didn't expect that kind of a welcome back did ya? >> caller: no, that's awesome. about the israel thing it just blows my mind that land claims and international policy are fundamentally based on missing poetry from millions of years ago. >> hal: yes. it's like guaranteeing the rights of people who believe that trolls and ice giants left that land to them. >> caller: exactly -- >> hal: it is speechless. again, that's where the conversation much like -- by the way, good-bye karl norse
8:39am
dude! [ trumpet noise ] >> >> hal: here is how i think the burning bush happened. moses goes up the hill and he is sick of everybody acting like jack asses. and he goes up the hill and the bush catches on fire and god speaks to him through the burning bush and says these are my lives. and mel brooks famously making the i give you these 15 -- crash -- ten. ten. he actually says oye. which is so beautiful. when he gets robbed he parts the red sea so that gregory heintz can't escape and he goes an old
8:40am
man they don't let you live they don't let you breathe. so he is going to try to meditate, which was our own separation of lobes in our brain you know -- the -- [ inaudible ] separated in two parts where you stopped -- you started hearing voices that didn't directly sown like your own, the observer they call it in a lot of philosophy -- >> one faces forward one faces backward. >> hal: exactly. >> so wait he's on the -- >> don't worry -- thank you tangent police but this is important. he talks to the part of his brain where he remembers things. he is like we have lost the keys to the kingdom where are they? so he goes up the hill and the burning bushes spoke to him and he comes down and says these are the commandments of my
8:41am
people -- and they were making a gold calf, and they went back to the old ways -- and he smashes the tablets a sure sign that he chiselled them himself, because i don't care how angry you are if god gives you something, you tiptoe away holding them these are from god. >> just ebay alone -- noo >> hal: yeah right. it took him three days to do it because it is hard to make a u with a chisel. [ laughter ] >> hal: so it's safe that's all you need to know. for those of you at home rick just did the melting nazi face. so he spent three days chiselling these things because he's trying to make the o in
8:42am
covet and the broke another rock -- and they had to be nicely shaped too, they had to look like tombstones -- >> always go over it with a sharpy first. >> hal: that's what he didn't, he didn't have the chisel equivalent of a pencil -- >> are you sure this is perm spent in >> hal: so he goes up the hill he gets a draft he's comfortable with, he comes back down the hill and he gets mad and he says -- he smashes them -- >> i after e except -- oh i have to start over. >> stephanie: so he gets everybody back in line and they wander the desert for 40 years, but at some point somebody went -- we saw you up on the hill and why -- why did you make -- if you were commuting with god? did you get cold? how are you in the presence of
8:43am
god -- why did you have to have a fire? honestly wouldn't you be in the presence of the all mighty, why would you have any needs -- we didn't see you eat anything -- although he probably killed something while he was up there, but he built a fire, but explaining why you had to build a fire while in the presence of god to tribal people is very difficult thing to do so he said god spoke to me through the fire -- >> and some people always believe when you stair into flame it activates a meditative portion of your brain. >> hal: that's true. hence the philosophical death of chevy chase's line in caddy shack where he goes -- he goes
8:44am
you going to go to college, danny? and he goes yeah i talked to a guidance counselor once. he said i should be a fire watcher. [ laughter ] >> i remember that. >> hal: okay. let's take some of these calls. we have denise in chicago. >> caller: hello. hey, hal. >> we're having a good time denise. >> caller: i could just listen to you all day, you crack me up. here is my deal. i got a girlfriend we're all different religions, but her sister they are evangelists, they are better than everybody else. but her friends all of these people go to israel and hang out, and they have these buses and airplanes and go to israel. what is that all about? i don't get it? >> one last look at it. >> hal: yeah right. wow. i think it's something
8:45am
colloquial and tribal about it. if i go to washington, d.c. or boston, or philadelphia where a lot of the initial documents were written and you walk around those areas there is something good about that history. it's something -- like that was just 200 years ago but it was the birth of our nation and the root of our idea -- >> it's a place that should be here hundreds thousands of years from now -- >> hal: yes. >> caller: but they go -- [overlapping speakers] >> so their jesus guy comes back. >> hal: exactly. so israel has two points of interest. obviously jews for the temple on the mount and the whaling wall and sites like that that are steeped with history. there was no religious base -- that was a governmental
8:46am
base, and unfortunately governments fall, and religions tend to power through, because government have to live up to a standard, and religions just scare you in to staying. >> caller: yeah, but they recruit you to go -- >> well, there's a birthright too within the jewish community there's a sense of birth right. you have to go to israel and commune -- >> caller: these people are not jewish -- >> hal: they are christians but because jesus was jewish and he was the messiah, and jews didn't choose him as the messiah, and they think another person is coming along but -- that's where sarah palin thinks that's what mischel bachmann thinks -- >> caller: exactly. >> hal:s the people view jesus as a product. you -- every hymn is a jingle
8:47am
for the product. it's basically try jesus, you'll like it has got vitamin c. [ laughter ] >> hal: that's what hymns are for. >> caller: have you told the mu pope this? >> hal: if you want to talk about dominating theme listen to lennie bruce back in the day. thank you for the call. the pilgrimage part of it -- i know people who are eastern european, and they just want to go back just to go see it. >> there's just places that hold an emotional connection for certain people. >> caller: right. but in the case of the jewish people in israel there's a great world wide with obviously the anti-stemetic part of this
8:48am
there are protections in israel, however, i'm sure the indians that originally inhabited wisconsin had the exact same feeling about that land but they were nudged into the dakotas into the crappy valleys that don't crow anything. so it is amazing how we shrug off, for example native american connections or aborigine connections in the case of australia, or look at the tribal fights and go of course they are fighting nobody cares who owns that land, but when the israelis and the palestinians do it's worthy of international at attention. >> it's what i recognize and
8:49am
have a file with in my brain. i there's a software glitch in the human brain right now. >> hal: that's why christians took over pagan holidays -- >> the snakes chased out of ireland. >> hal: exactly. those were actually the drew ids. but christmas was not a christian holiday, it's a seasonal effective disorder holiday. it's to keep you happy at the low part in the winter -- >> is it really? >> hal: yeah it's the darkest night of the year -- tell me when you were in a tribal society, you said let's throw a party and eat everything that is going to go rotten before the end of the winter. we got to take a break, because we could do this discussion
8:50am
forever. obviously people have been having it for 2,000 years. >> you mean this isn't new? >> hal: no, but it's the dominate theme that makes you choose those holidays. >> environmental theme. what you have and what you didn't have and needed. >> stephanie: exactly. we'll be back with more of the >> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show." i'm hal sparks, and rick overton, and we're just running jacki schechner ragged. >> this is so amazing. it's all anybody in my class is talking about. >> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪ michael shure: this show is about being up to date so a lot of my work happens by doing the things that i am given to doing anyway. joy behar: you can say anything here. jerry springer: i spent a couple of hours with a hooker joy behar: your mistake was writing a check jerry springer: she never cashed it (vo) the day's events. four very unique points of view. tonight starting at 6 eastern.
8:51am
they think this world isn't big enough for the both of them. but we assure you - it is. bites. little greatness.
8:52am
8:53am
8:54am
current tv is the place for true stories. with award winning documentaries that take you inside the headlines. real, gripping, current. documentaries... on current tv. ♪
8:55am
>> hal: see what i mean. here is jacki, now she's bobbing her head. [ laughter ] >> hal: you can say what you will about metal but there is something -- listen for the warmth of a distorted guitar. we got to take calls, i don't want to get off on a tangent. but the guy who did stuff about water crystals -- [ overlapping speakers ] >> he missed it. >> hal: i know as my nature i'm so pushy in general -- the guy who did the water crystals where he wrote the words love on them and used loving thoughts and then put them under an electron microscope and they looked at how water crystals froze, and they were all beautiful. when they tried metal they looked like the beautiful
8:56am
diamond formations but they are all shook up. and i would say what that actually means is -- and this is why a lot of hard music is used by people in political movements especially on the left because it shakes up the status quo, it literally does that to your system, and then it is way more inviting on the other side than you think. anyway let's take calls. let's go to laurie in new mexico. >> caller: good morning, i love all of you guys. >> thank you. >> hal: thank you, laurie. >> caller: i live in a very red part of new mexico and it's all very petroleum based and religion based. i go north to duran go colorado where i can here sanity and not hannity. but i was thinking about this
8:57am
whole thing with israel and i'm more in line with president carter, and i think president obama is also. he is a very very intelligent man, and most of the world recognizes that, except for republicans here. >> and it's good not to associate all of israel with the la-hoot. we're not all george w. bush either. >> caller: yeah. yeah. knock on wood for that one. >> there are a lot of peaceful efforts over there. >> hal: right. >> caller: what i'm looking at is why doesn't president obama just stand up and say i understand everyone's superstitions, but we have to base our policy on fact and no longer base it on superstition. >> hal: i think the use of the world superstition would cut you
8:58am
right there at the hamstring in that race. >> it's another great test for us to know we can't have the version that we want. >> caller: maybe not use the verbiage superstitions, but use a reasonable facsimile, so we could cut through all of that. >> hal: obama gave a speech at the convention center in israel in -- i guess in jerusalem he opened for nickelback, i think -- >> right before the car show. >> hal: yeah where aaron gray will be signing autographs in her outfit from buck rogers -- >> hal: tangent. >> hal: right. okay. let's take one more call. i want to get to carol in
8:59am
california. >> caller: hallelujah. i didn't think i was going to get on. number 1 i have been wanting to call in, but i can't -- i can't get through. t-bone won't let me on a lot of times. but hal, the bullying mash sheebs, democrats are never going to take over unless they have equal -- >> hal: very true. >> caller: and god is over israel. the jews are just defending themselves. there are a stream of people who want to take them out. >> hal: i would not say it is cut and dry like that and when you say something like god is over israel, that presumes that if you believe in god he or she is not over the rest of the globe too -- and that presumption of singular protectivety is a very problematic point -- >> caller: but there are